BLOG: Leadership InsightsGet Email Updates
Key Insights from Alan Mulally and the Gamechanger Negotiation Master Class at the Virtual Women in Leadership Institute | Day 3 of WIL
Today is Day 3 of the Virtual Women in Leadership Institute™, and we are on a truly transformative leadership development journey. We heard from two incredibly inspiring women: Liz Wiseman and Carla Harris. Check out our blog filled with takeaways from their keynotes here.
Today, we also experienced a deep dive during the Gamechanger Negotiation Master Class and gained insights from a truly inspiring leader, Alan Mulally, Linkage 2020 Legends in Leadership Faculty member.
Check out the big takeaways from these sessions below:
Live Master Class | Game Changer: Getting What You Want through Negotiating
Negotiation is a critical leadership skill. A good negotiator, just like a good leader, builds relationships, generates consensus, navigates tough conversations, and achieves goals. In this virtual session we worked to become more comfortable and confident negotiators by exploring how to prepare for a negotiation.
- Have the confidence to negotiate for what you want.
- Understand that people negotiate from four different perspectives.
- Appreciate and understand both your perspective and that of the person you are negotiating with. We spend a lot of time thinking about what we want, but the most powerful negotiation tool we have is our ability to understand the motivations and desires of the person we are negotiating with.
- Learn how to identify the other person’s perspective and how to adapt to that perspective when you make the ask.
- Identify when your Inner Critic is sabotaging the negotiation.
- Push pause to take the time to coach your Inner Critic back to Compassionate Center so that you can proceed with confidence.
Linkage’s 2020 Legend in Leadership: Alan Mulally
The leaders who make up the Linkage Legends in Leadership legacy have one thing in common: They lead with a keen sense of purpose and seek to activate a deeper purpose in those around them.
Each year, Linkage has the distinct pleasure of honoring one exceptional leader who has dedicated their career—and arguably their life journey—to leading through purpose. This year, we recognize Alan Mulally with this prestigious award. Alan is the former president and CEO of Ford Motor Company and former executive vice president of the Boeing Company, president and CEO of Boeing Commercial Airplanes, and a truly visionary and innovative leader.
Alan joined us on the virtual mainstage to accept his award and reflect on critical leadership lessons from his 47-year-long career leading two American icons. He walked us through his Working Together Principles, which features everything from “People first…love them up”—to the critical role of a comprehensive strategy—to simply having fun and enjoying the journey together. His leadership style, which is grounded in humility, love and service—has established him as one of the most respected leaders of this century.
- When we put our people first and lead with humility, love and service, we can innovate and grow our businesses for future success.
- Everyone in our organizations must know the plan, be part of the plan, and feel supported in every way possible to successfully execute the plan.
- A positive, find-a-way attitude is critical to our team’s success. Every one of us has the power to become who we want to be.
- As leaders, we must always listen first: “We must seek to understand before we seek to be understood.”
- Creating an inclusive environment starts with creating a space where all people feel valued and heard. Every conversation is an opportunity to invite people to share with one another, to build accountability and create shared success.
Enrich Your inbox
with timely, relevant leadership insights
Join more than 15,000 others and subscribe to Linkage Leadership Insights: your resource for leadership development-related topics that matter to you, from change and transition management to innovation to coaching and more.
Start Your Journey
Speak with a Linkage expert today